Saturday, November 6, 2010

This 'n' That

Halloween Dress-Up

Trick or Treat!

Last Saturday the boys had their FIRST EVER try at Trick-or-Treating! They loved it! We went to a neighborhood Halloween party (on October 30th...remember?) where there was a mountain of pizza boxes to empty, buckets of treats and toys to dig through, and a hay ride around the neighborhood to relieve certain privileged grown-ups of any candy surplus. What fun!

Halloween Dress-Up-2

Trevor was a soccer player (again...I think that makes 3 years in a row?) William was an Auburn Fan (notice the AU on his cheeks) and Samuel was an Indian (er, native North American...) Trevor is posing there...not actually picking his nose (I wasn't sure, at first, though...)

Halloween hay ride

I took these to the party:
pumpkin cheesecake

Pumpkin Cheesecake Squares, with Cream Cheese Frosting. Yum.

I got the recipe from this book: (which I HIGHLY recommend. Maybe someone {Larisa?} needs it for Christmas? Here's a link if you want to buy it!)

DSC04829

The recipe is fairly long, so I thought I would just try taking a picture?
DSC04831

DSC04832

Can I do that? I hope the recipe-police don't get me.

Anyway, I cut up the cheesecake into squares, and piped the icing on. For the icing I just used powdered sugar, cream cheese, and vanilla. That was a very tasty way to use a 1/2 a can of pumpkin.

Now, what to do with the other half? We can't just throw it away!

A friend brought us pumpkin cookies a little while back, and they were Soooooo good...soft, fluffy and sweet. The boys were skeptical at first, but one bite was all it took to hook 'em. They were asking all week if I could make some more. So, I got the recipe!

pumpkin cookies

These are Sharri's Pumpkin Cookies


2 cups sugar
2 sticks butter
2 eggs
1 can 16oz. pumpkin
2 t. baking powder
2 t. baking soda
2 t. cinnamon
2 t. vanilla
1 t. salt
4 c. flour

Cream the first three ingredients. Mix the remaining ingredients adding
flour last. Spoon onto cookie sheet and bake 375ยบ for 7 to 9 minutes. (I found that if I took them out too soon, they collapsed a little. Cook them until they JUST begin to get a little brown...maybe 10 mins?)

Icing:
1 box confectioner’s sugar
1 8 oz. pkg. cream cheese, softened
1 stick butter, softened
1 t. vanilla


I just made a 1/2 recipe (have you ever seen a recipe so perfectly suited to halfing?).

DELICIOUS!

Really, these are in my Top 5 Cookie List now.

Best use of a 1/2 a can of pumpkin ever!

Plus, the frosting is delish too.
licking the beater

I guess I was done with the party story...I kindof got onto a tangent.

:)

Tim spent some time on the house last week...

DSC04748

It is coming along s-l-o-w-l-y...but surely.

DSC04750

Not everyone has such a hunk working on their house...

...or pushing their kids on home-made swings in their backyards...

rope swing-2

rope swing

...or picking up their kids off the ground when their cool-but-shabby-home-made-swings break...

(here's what's left of the rope...)

DSC04777

(I'm happy to report there were no major injuries...it's only too bad we didn't document it. Trevor is DYING to send a video to AFV)

Let's see...

I did some cleaning up this week. (probably most people don't blog about that...) When I was picking up in the school room, I came across some of Trevor's recent drawings. They gave me a chuckle. So, here's what I found on (and under...and around) Trevor's desk...

T's Drawings

And a couple close-ups (so you can read all his little notes)...
(where I live)
T's Drawings-2

(Sparky's food...nice n hot)
T's Drawings-3

(background for cage)
T's Drawings-4

...Not sure what this is...
T's Drawings-5

...or this...unless it is aliens?
T's Drawings-6

Myyronoids... (?)
T's Drawings-7

And Alabama Ice Cream (football team, helmet design) I love his logo...
T's Drawings-8

What a creative little boy.

I found this in his bed this week...
Trevor's "light" reading

...a little "light" bedtime reading...

One night he showed me a fan in the book that he thought would be good for our house. It was pretty, but had a kindof dark globe (or what ever you call that glass bowl that goes over the lights), so I told T that we want one that gives us lots of light. He started flipping through the book, and after quickly finding what he was looking for, said, "Well how about this one...it has the highest CFMs per watt...it would be a really good one." CFMs per watt?? THAT made me laugh.

I also tackled Trevor and Samuel's closet this week...
Messy closet

I think I made good progress...
tidy closet

Last...some sweet pictures from this morning.

William likes to get up early. Even on Saturday. Well, this morning, he got into his head that he wanted to do another sewing project. Remember the felt mouse cat toy he made? ... [ Well, I just looked, and can't find that I put that on here. Here's a couple pictures of the mouse...]
DSC03100

DSC03105

William used this book to make it...
book

So anyway, today he got in his head he wanted to make something else. After we found the book, he decided to make a felt drawstring pouch.

the pouch

He sewed the whole thing almost entirely by himself.
sewing a pouch

I had to help here and there, so he sat by me at the computer while I organized my pictures for the blog.

I embellished it for him--exactly the way he told me to...and he was THRILLED.
pouch

How CUTE is that??

What a sweetie.

Hope you are enjoying your Saturday as much as we are!

No comments :

Post a Comment