Sunday, April 3, 2011

Poundcake

After you go pick strawberries, you're gonna want to make one of these...
DSC06786

Er...you'll want to make a whole one. And believe me, once it comes out of the oven, you're not going to be able to remember to take a picture, either. I meant to take one, but once it's right there in front of you, all thoughts of cameras fade to the background. It's really that good.

Can you see the gooey sweetness at the bottom of the slice? Can you see the crusty edge just waiting to be pinched off and popped in your mouth?
DSC06787

Good thing I'm gonna tell you how to make it. :) {And just to let you know how special this recipe is to me, I called and got permission to blog it! I'm so excited.}

If you've got a pound of butter in your fridge, go ahead and get it out now...just in case you get the urge to make it right away.

And now, without any more of my nonsense...

Kentucky Pound Cake


taken from Sterling Service, copyright 1996
by the Dothan Service League
call and order one for yourself...you'll be so glad you did.
(334)671-7142
You might even be able to pick one up at the Butcher's Block...they used to carry them!

6 large eggs
2-2/3 cups sugar
2 cups butter at room temp
3-1/2 cups cake flour
1/2 cup half-and-half cream
1 teaspoon vanilla

  • Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
  • Use a heavy duty stand mixer.
  • Separate eggs. Beat egg whites and add 6 level tablespoons sugar after eggs hold peaks. Place in refrigerator.
  • Cream butter, add rest of the sugar and beat until light.
  • Add egg yolks, 2 at a time, beating well after each.
  • Add flour and cream alternately. Beat mixture until light, about 10 minutes.
  • Fold in egg whites. Add vanilla.
  • Pour batter into a greased bundt pan.
  • Bake 1-1/2 hours or until cake tester comes out clean.

Okay...first thing, whip your egg whites...
DSC06753

I just love how if you're careful, the yolks always line up just right. It's one of the highlights of making this cake. :)
DSC06752

While your eggs are whipping, measure out your sugar.
DSC06754

I follow the instructions for this recipe exactly. I don't know why it tells you to do all the things it tells you to do. I've got an itch to email Alton Brown and ask him about it.

While you are letting your mixer beat away for 10 minutes...
DSC06755

...you can get your pan ready. This is my pan. I love it. I think I got it from Walmart. It is heavy, and I like the way the dark surface cooks the cake. I have had the hardest time with my cakes sticking, though. My first one, I don't remember sticking at all. Ever since then, I have trouble. I've tried Pam, smearing it with butter, using butter and then flour...I don't get it. This last time I used Pam again, and I really laid it on heavy. That was better. If you have any tips, bring em on!
DSC06757

I always like dumping my stiff egg whites into the bowl...
DSC06758

...but I don't like folding them in. It is about all I can take--I feel like my arms are going to fall off by the end.
DSC06761

Fill up your pan, and pop it in the oven.
DSC06762

While it's cooking, you can do your dishes...
DSC06763

...and slice up your strawberries. Just look at these guys from the Strawberry Farm! They are so red and juicy. I don't know how I'll ever be able to buy them at Walmart again.
DSC06764

Be careful with your oven heat. If it is too hot, your cake will crack (which isn't a huge deal, unless you are a perfectionist. If you are, maybe use a oven thermometer?) This is mine just before I pulled it out.
DSC06768

As it cools, it will fall. Rejoice! That means that you will get that heavenly gooey layer. It is the best part.

I usually flip mine out of the pan while it's still warm...but just now it dawned on me, I wonder if that is why mine sticks? I think next time I'll try letting it cool longer.

And, since I lost my mind after I pulled it out of the oven, that's the last picture I've got!

Tid Bits

Samuel lost another tooth...I'm pretty sure he's passed Trevor by for lost teeth.
DSC06780

Kinda hard to get a good picture of him sometimes...
DSC06783

It hailed...William took a picture.
DSC06770

The caterpillars are on the loose. They kept the boys real busy last week. Trevor took a picture...
DSC06771

Tim is still hard at work on frames, etc...
DSC_0182

And we had our first sales with our etsy store! Praise God! Feels really strange, thinking that things that Tim made are going to be in somebody's home!

Time for me to join the fam--we're enjoying our usual: smoothies, popcorn, and AFV.

Let me know if you try a cake!

No comments :

Post a Comment